When a Scot Ties the Knot by Tessa Dare (2015)

Upon reading this book, I immediately decided that I LOVED Tessa Dare and must read all of her novels at once.

Third in the Castles Ever After series (all about women inheriting castles--how awesome is that?), this historical romance is about a shy woman who makes up a dashing imaginary Scottish soldier boyfriend and sends him letters (which gets her family off her back.) All goes well (and she inherits a castle) until the imaginary Scot shows up at her front door as real as it gets.

This novel has everything I love in a romance: rich, endearing characters, marvelous chemistry and romantic, uncontrived build-up. I love their joke about "remember when" when the thing is happening right now, and I love her calling him Captain MacGrumpy or whatever variation on his name she feels like. Trust me, it's far cuter than I'm making it sound. Just loooovely.