Five, Six, Seven, Nate! by Tim Federle (2014)

Five, Six, Seven, Nate!In Tim Federle’s sequel to Better Nate Than Ever, theater geek Nate Foster begins rehearsals for E.T. the Musical…on Broadway! Nate struggles with finding his place in this new world (as Alien #7) with his usual quirky charm. 

The inside story of getting a show up and running is vividly depicted and includes tons of the same humor that made Federle’s first book such a treat.  Such as:
About Roscoe, the old stage manager: "(The other day, I overheard him saying he misses the old days, when the only children who appeared in musicals 'were in the background or dead by the second scene.')"  
And:
"'I need my sopranos down front and my altos just to the side of them.' Everything is 'my my my' on Broadway. There's a lot of territory disputes, like a junior high school cafeteria but with more glitter."