Mr. Darcy Forever by Victoria Connelly (2012)



Mr. Darcy Forever
I am the first to admit:  few things entice me more than There are few things I love more than a trashy fiction made slightly less trashy by the invoking of the great name of Austen.  That is, I love a good Jane Austen spin-off (and a bad one).

I was at Barnes & Noble, perusing their lovely Austen spinoff fiction shelf, and could not resist the cover of this one. 

 This novel is rather strange, but compulsively readable.  It's about two sisters who parted ways three years ago, and the chapters unfold the story of their split, trading off between the perspectives of the two characters. Really draws out in full, slow detail the story of how the sisters parted ways.  To be honest, the male characters are rather cardboard-ish and the relationships simplistic.  HOWEVER, the story of the sisters traveling to Bath for the Jane Austen Festival is so very, very fun. It has a very strong sense of Bath, and is very fun to read and revisit the places of Bath.  It's also terrifically full of fun Jane Austen references.  Although I had some issues with the characters and storyline, I also could NOT stop reading this book.  And I'm famous for my book intolerance and impatience, so that's saying something.  And I immediately dashed out and requested (and read) Victoria Connelly's other two Austen books: A Weekend with Mr. Darcy and Dreaming of Mr. Darcy.