Doctor Sleep by Stephen King (2013)


Doctor Sleep
Sometimes you're just grateful to be back in the capable hands of a writer you really like. Even the little traits that can sometimes annoy you (like parenthetical comments in italics randomly interspersed in the text) don't bother you.

This sequel to The Shining was a fabulous sequel. I loved how beautifully it built on the original story, and fleshed out the shining in particular so well. I loved seeing Dick Halloran again, and Dan Torrance's struggles with alcoholism and work with AA was really well depicted. 

I love how Stephen King always has unexpectedly good people who are willing to help and fight the forces of evil, like Casey and Doctor John and Billy Freeman. I loved the character of Abra, and the realism of all the relationships. I absolutely the depiction of Dan's work as Doctor Sleep, when he comforted people who were close to death and helped them on their journey. Such a lovely way to use his gift. I just loved this book.