Le Freak: An Upside Down Story of Family, Disco, and Destiny by Nile Rodgers (2011)

syndetics-lc
I LOVED this book.

I picked it up because of a rash of reading memoirs by members of the band Duran Duran (it's true--dang nostalgia) and they kept referring to Nile Rodgers in such glowing terms. I thought it would be interesting to read what he had to say about them. Not much, as it turns out, and I almost returned this book, but I read his captions on the photo spread and liked his sense of humor so I read it. Example:
"Here I am with the band for my second solo album, filming a video for our single, 'State Your Mind.'  A black man fronting a big-haired white band was a novelty then, but not the popular kind."  

The book starts in the late fifties in Greenwich Village, where Rodgers lived with his mother and white stepfather, who were heroin junkies. His fascinating childhood includes stops in the South Bronx, Alphabet City, South Central L.A., time spent in a sanitarium for ill children, and includes fascinating family and friends as he travels through the Beat Generation and the rise of Black Power, then the hippie movement. 

He has a vision of a new kind of black/white funk music, and sees tremendous success with his band Chic, only to be cast out and scourged when the Disco Sucks movement takes off. He produces some of the most iconic albums of the 1980s (David Bowie's Last Dance, Madonna's Like a Virgin, Duran Duran, and way more) and manages to do it all while doing a lot of drugs. He finally cleans up his act, starts a foundation that does great work, and in the last two pages of the book, gets a diagnosis of advanced cancer.

 In the last paragraph, he talks about his family's many secrets and how he'll keep this one (his diagnosis) from them. It may not turn out to be such a big deal, he says.

 MAN! This is a freaking awesome book. He tells his amazing stories with a lot of humility and a lot of humor and no self-pity and no arrogance. The amazingly vivid characters of his family members and his relationships with fellow musicians will definitely stick with me. SUCH an awesome book. So many bits of great language and humor are in this book that I can't quote them all, or I'd be typing out the whole book.  I will tell you that I loved his description of himself skipping school and "kicking back like Dean Martin with a cocoa martini."  Love.  SO much love.