The Hypnotist's Love Story by Liane Moriarty (2011)

syndetics-lc
Liane Moriarty is one of those authors that just speak to me.  She has such wonderful insights into character and relationships and builds such compelling, believable characters.

This novel is about Ellen O'Farrell, a hypnotherapist in her mid-30s, who just met a promising new man.  Things are going well until he tells her that he has a stalker--a woman he broke up with three years ago.  The story is told in alternating sections from Ellen's (3rd person) POV and Saskia's 1st person POV (the stalker).  Slightly quirky and very endearing, I think Liane Moriarty is a great readalike for Maeve Binchy.  Just change the setting from Ireland to Australia!  But keep the compelling characters and relationships and satisfying plots.
"I was stunned.  I'm not sure why.  I think I just never expected him to be important enough to make any significant changes in his life, but of course, he doesn't know that he's only a minor character in my life.  He's the star of his own life and I'm the minor character.  And fair enough too."
See also:  What Alice Forgot and Three Wishes.