The Borrower by Rebecca Makkai (2011)

syndetics-sc
I loved, loved, loved this novel about a children's librarian who gets mixed up in the life of one of her favorite young patrons as he runs away from an unhappy home life.  I loved this for the charming, quietly hilarious writing; the excellent characterizations; and her unbelievable insight into the true, realistic life and mind of a modern librarian. So many delightful literary allusions and references, but none of it gets in the way of a truly compelling story. This is an easy sell to librarians, but hopefully loved by others as well!  How can you not love a book with these introductory words: 
"These are the settings and main characters. We are nestled into our beanbags: let us begin. (Where's Papa going with that ax?" said Fern.)"
More quotes I love:
"[Loraine Best, the head librarian] came downstairs some Fridays just to smile and nod at the mothers as they dropped them off, as if she had some hand in Chapter Book Hour. As if her reading three minutes of Green Eggs and Ham wouldn't make half the children cry and the others raise their hands to ask if she was a good witch or a bad witch."
And of course: 
"..and there were at least three stacks of books I personally loathed but held onto just in case someone asked me to loan them ....I'd hate to have to say that I knew the perfect book, but I'd just given it away. Not that people often asked. But once in a while my landlord, Tim, or his partner, Lenny, would invite themselves in to peruse the stacks and ask the world's best question: 'Hey, what do you think I should read?'  It was nice to be prepared." 
A little librarian fun:
"Once a year all the librarians in the county wedged themselves into high heels, tried to pull the cat hair off their sweaters with masking tape, and smeared their lips with an awful tomato red that had gone stale in its tube, all to convince the benefit set of the greater Hannibal region that libraries do better with chairs and books and money."
(See also chapter 8 for "If You Give a Librarian a Closet.")
"I am the mortal at the end of this story. I am the monster at the end of this book. I'm left here alone to figure it all out, and I can't quite. How do I catalogue it all? What sticker do I put on the spine? Ian once suggested that in addition to the mystery stickers and the sci-fi and animal ones, there should be special stickers for books with happy endings, books with sad endings, books that will trick you into reading the next in the series."