Stephen King - Adored Author

Well, of course.  It's Stephen King.  One of the first authors of grownup books I remember reading, I can remember precisely on which shelf of my childhood library Carrie was located.  And I remember the cover perfectly and how I felt reading it.  If I had to pick an all-time favorite, it would probably be The Stand.   Incredibly long, but incredibly absorbing tale of a virus wiping out most of the world. I think of The Stand every time I'm in close quarters with a stranger with a hacking cough.  I also love his short stories collections like Night Shift, which contains the fabulously weird "The Mangler" and the never-leave-your-closet-door-even-slightly-ajar tale of "The Boogeyman."  Also love Skeleton Crew, which includes the wonderful novella "The Mist," as well as standout stories such as "The Monkey," "The Jaunt" and "Mrs. Todd's Shortcut."  And of course, there's It.  Still super scary, although I'm not exactly sure what happens at the end.  But eek.  Particularly if you have a deep and abiding fear of clowns. And who doesn't?  And then the more serious King, such as The Green Mile.  Not so much spooky as his other books, but genuinely good. Incredibly suspenseful, absorbing and touching.  And I adored On Writing , which is half autobiography, half writing guide. The only writing book I've ever actually finished. Great insight into the life and writing style of a popular author.