Elinor Lipman - Adored Author

Elinor Lipman writes witty novels filled with vivid, memorable characters. Often my favorite is whatever novel she's most recently published.  Some of my favorites are: Ladies’ Man - A tale of three sisters, all spinsters and living together in Boston; Isabel’s Bed – A writer takes a ghost writing position for scandal queen; and When She Found Me - A shy teacher is sought out by her gregarious birth mother.  My Latest Grievance feels like a revisiting of some themes from her first novel: Then She Found Me. Namely, girl raised by conservative, quiet parents runs into a mother figure who is outrageous (in a Lipman way) and shakes up her life. And I'll always love The Inn at Lake Devine about a young girl who witnesses anti-Semitism from the Inn of the title who grows up and finds her life inextricably linked with that of the owners. Funny, romantic, meaningful.  Plus, I love the inside look at the great Jewish resorts of the Catskills.